“If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete.“
– Jack Kornfield –
Addiction/Recovery Child and Adult
• A Woman’s Guide Through the Twelve Steps, by Stephanie Covington, Ph.D.
• An Elephant In the Living Room – The Children’s Book, by Jill M. Hastings. An excellent book for children of alcoholics.
• www.aa.org • Official website of Alcoholics Anonymous.
• www.soberrecovery.com • Addiction/Recovery information and resources.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
• Driven To Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood.
• Indigo Children: The New Kids Have Arrived, by Lee Carroll/Jan Tober. Offers a spiritual perspective and alternative treatment model for those with Attention Deficit Disorder.
• www.chadd.org • CHADD: Children and Adults Living with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Great resource and information site.
• www.indigochild.com • Autism and Social Skills
• www.Do2Learn.com • Autism Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, practical help for parents and teachers.
• www.orionacademy.org • Orion Academy provides a quality college-preparatory program for secondary students whose academic success is compromised by a neurocognitive disability such as Asperger’s syndrome or NLD (Non-verbal Learning Disorder).
Adult and Childhood Autism/Aspergers
• Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome, by Luke Jackson.
• Look Me in the Eye: My Life With Aspergers, by John Elder Robison.
• www.nap.edu • National Research Council guidelines for educating children with Asperger’s syndrome.
Child/Adolescent Social and Emotional Development
• Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys, by Dan Kindlon and Michael Thompson.
• Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent, by Mary Pipher, Ph.D.
• The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander, by Barbara Coloroso.
• Dinosaurs Divorce, by Mark Brown. For children ages 4-8.
• So Sexy, So Soon, by Diane Levin, Ph.D.
• stressfreekids.com • Resources for children/teens suffering from stress and anxiety.
• www.pbs.org/parents/raisinggirls/friends/elem1.html • Guidance and Information for parents about female development and the social pressures girls encounter. Site includes excellent resources.
• PFLAG/Oakland, East Bay Resources and support for families and friends of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals. PO Box 21195, Oakland, CA 94620-1195 email@example.com (510) 562-7692.
• The New Rules of Marriage, by Terry Real.
• Seven Principles For Making Marriage Work, by John Gottman.
Meditation, Mindfulness and Spiritual Living Resources
• Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion, by Pema Chodron.
• When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times, by Pema Chodron.
• There is Nothing Wrong With You, by Cheri Huber.
• Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha, by Tara Brach.
• From Fear to Fearlessness, by Pema Chodron.
• The Mindfulness Solution, by Ronald Siegel, PsyD.
• greatergood.berkeley.edu/greatergoodscience • Great articles on compassion, empathy, positive emotions, raising compassionate children, psychology, male psychology and much more.
• www.insightberkeley.org • Local meditation center for all levels.
• www.shambhala.org • Wonderful resource for spiritual teachings, philosophies and excellent instructional guide to meditation. Bookstore and community events.
• www.spiritrock.org • Spirit Rock Meditation Center located in Woodacre, California for beginning through advanced meditators. Vipassana and Insight Meditation and Mindfulness practice.
• www.amma.org • Meditation classes, community service and an online connection to the work of Amma a humanitarian and incredible spiritual teacher from Kerala, India.
• Iron John, by Robert Bly.
• Fire in the Belly – On Being a Man, by Sam Kelly.
• He, by Robert Johnson.
• The Explosive Child, by Ross W. Greene.
• Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me & Cheryl to the Mall: A Parent’s Guide to the New Teenager, Revised and Updated, by Anthony E. Wolfe, Ph.D.
• How to Listen so Kids will Talk and Talk so Kids Will Listen, by Adele Farber.
• Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach, by Howard Glasser.
• 1-2-3 Magic: Effective Discipline for Children 2-12, by Thomas Phelan.
• Staying Connected to Your Teenager: How to Keep Them Talking to You and How to Hear What They’re Really Saying, by Michael Riera.
• Beyond the Blues, by Dr. Shoshana Bennett.
• Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Post-Partum Depression, by Brooke Shields.
• Post-Partum Depression for Dummies, by Dr. Shoshana Bennett.
• www.drshosh.com • Excellent resource for those suffering from anxiety, depression, psychosis/post-partum.
Sleep Information and Support
• www.crisis-center.org • Parenting resources/adult/child support/suicide hotline and other community resources.
24 hr Crisis Hotline 800-833-2900: Support services for youths and adults